Saturday, May 12, 2018

Sister Together in Mexico - Cradle Cap - Part IV




I don't even know where to begin with this post so I will begin in the beginning. The year was 1952. That was the year my sister was born. And she developed something Nanny referred to as Cradle Cap. The best I remember Nanny and Mama talking about it in later years, it was a scaly head that babies got when they were allergic to milk. Us kids liked to tease her about her Cradle C-r-a-p later on. That's fitting since my dad was a dairy farmer at the time. A dairy farmer with cows - not goats, and a kid, as in child/not goat, allergic to milk. It seems my sister couldn't drink cow's milk, but she could tolerate goat's milk. Apparently, she liked it a whole, whole lot. When she got older and after I came along, the affinity for plain old goat's milk turned into an obsession for cajeta. Cajeta is a Mexican product of thick, sweet carmel syrup made from - you guessed it - goat's milk. Of course, my mom wouldn't have even known about cajeta, much less bought it. But, Nanny's roots growing up in Mexico she had a supplier from somewhere and she would have jars of the stuff in her frig. My sister and I, and I presume my brothers too, would grab spoons and run to Nanny's refrigerator and scoop out a big spoonful of cajeta. And just to set the record straight "Nanny" was our grandmother on Dad's side/no pun intended to a nanny goat! We didn't have to worry about getting caught by Nanny because she seldom set foot into the kitchen. The kitchen meant work and she was kind of a princess when it came to work. She had Papa and a housekeeper to do that. I guess she did set foot in there every now and then to get a spoonful of cajeta for herself. Altough we all loved it because it was sweet and syrupy, nobody loved it more than Joanne. It was goat's milk at it's finest. 

She can tell the story better than I but I remember her getting sick from eating a whole can of evaporated milk when she was pregnant. It was the closest thing she could find to cajeta.

While visiting here in Merida, she told me she had spent close to $20 on a jar of the stuff she found online in the US. Well, remember I said in the last post we went to the grocery store? I forgot about the quest to find cajeta. Cajeta is around in these parts and you can buy it for a few pesos...less than 20 (about $1 Usd). At first when I had mentioned walking to the store, I was going to go alone and let her relax in the house. But, she decided she wanted to make the walk after all. Boy, was she glad she did! We came home with Cajeta. 

Guess what I'll be taking as a souvenir for Sis? Hint: it isn't a bottle of tequila! 


No comments:

Post a Comment