Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Sistas in Mexico - Part VII - Me Being Terry Traveling with the Deaf Mute

As Joanne and I traveled around and wandered around town, we've fallen into our traveling roles. Usually when Terry and I travel, he takes care of the pesos, knows when to hit the ATM, and does the bargaining for the best deals. I'm happy playing the role of the dramatic wife that gets sorely disappointed when something costs too much, then happily throws out kisses when a final deal is struck. But, since Joanne and I traveled alone I took on that role. I was the "money guy"; she was more like the deaf mute. She doesn't speak Spanish at all and the most she would do is say "Howdy" when I would be throwing out Buenas Diases to the people we met. I tried to get her to just try to say something in Spanish, but she wouldn't. Oftentimes, I would speak to somebody and after the conversation was over I would turn to her and explain the exchange in English. This didn't change even after a few Dos Equis or tequila shots.

On the day prior to her leaving, we did finally get to ride the Turibus, go to the huge, gigantic Mercado, and do some bargaining/shopping. There were quite a few "It must be a fruit stand" moments in the Mercado for sure - real, authentic fruit stands. We finished the last day by dashing into the oven-fired pizza place when it started to pour down. We sat and had a couple of beers each and decided to order a pizza to take home for dinner. The rain never stopped so we hailed a taxi and went to the casa. 


We had bought her bus ticket previously, and we got up and she packed, and we headed to the Fiesta Americana so she could catch the bus to then fly out on Southwest from Cancun. I waited around until she made it on the bus then I took a long, leisurely walk home. As the bus driver looked at her and took her ticket, he asked her: "Hablas Espanol or Ingles?" She acted like she never heard him. Remember what I said about the deaf mute? I told him Ingles solo and asked him to please get her to the correct terminal - even asking which terminal he dropped off at first. 

Then I said Adios! and I don't even think she said anything! 

It was the best sista time we've had in a long time! Te quiero, Joanne!!!

1 comment:

  1. This “sister trip” will never be forgotten and can never be recreated ! It was fabulous !
    And Larry would tell you “mute” is very unusual for me! 😂

    ReplyDelete