Friday, May 11, 2018

Family Visits - Sista Joanne Hits Mexico (part 2)

Sistas Chillaxin' in Playa del Carmen


It was a Monday when Gary and Sandra headed up north of the Plaza Grande for Gary's  international conference and 3 nights at the Hyatt. Terry and I caught an early bus out of Merida for Playa del Carmen then got on a bus to the airport in Cancun to meet up with Joanne. Luckily we were traveling together because we got in an argument (aka a discussion) about the bus drop-off and bus pick-up at the airport. That's because Southwest Airlines now flies out of new terminal 4. Just an FYI - he was right. That's all.
We spotted Joanne several times but eventually the real Joanne came towards us and the reunion began. We usually stop off at the outside tiki bar for a tequila shot but I never saw one of those at the new terminal 4. We missed the first bus that came along by 3 1/2 seconds but caught the next bus after we were reprimanded for not letting them know we had missed the bus and now needed a seat on the next bus. I'm exaggerating about the reprimand! 
Made it to PDC and I had booked a hotel a week or so in advance. Not sure why. I even went into the site to exercise the free cancellation several times as I knew PDC wouldn't be booked up. I was going to cancel for some reason but I don't know exactly why - because I could, I guess. And I like just walking into places and asking for a room. Also, I wanted my sista to see what a $37/night room looked like since she always stays at fancy places. But, they actually charged an additional $12/night for a third person so it really cost almost $50/night. 
Well, I kinda' had directions to the hotel. But, we couldn't find it. After asking several people and wandering around in the area where I thought it was, we finally realized it was on the south side of Calle 1 and headed the 4 or so blocks back the other way to find it. 
We went for cocktails and nachos at our favorite place on Quinta Avenida. I don't know the name of it but we feel like regulars around there. We had dinner/drinks at La Mission on Avenida 10. It was an early night. 
Tuesday morning Terry and I got up and went to buy bus tickets for Joanne and my trip back to Merida. He was going to catch a bus back to the airport and head to Texas when we left for Merida. We took a long, early morning walk and let Joanne rest up. Being the sweet, accommodating sister I brought her bed coffee - with creamer and sugar in it just the way she likes it! 
There was a farewell at the bus station when Terry boarded a bus a little ahead of our schedule. We boarded a fancy ADO red bus for Merida and before we exited the terminal boarding area Joanne got queasy. Uh Oh! It's going to be a long trip to Merida! We had forgotten the Dramamine thirty minutes in advance and she had only taken it when we got on the bus. But, she never threw up and was able to get some rest before the queasiness came over her again. We were glad to get to Merida! The adventure continues... 

No comments:

Post a Comment