Thursday, February 6, 2014

Everythng from Tequila to Catavina

When we arrived at the house, the first thing we did was go through all the rooms and go to the patio to check things out. We were re-familiarizing ourselves with what we remembered and what we had forgotten. Did we have liquor or did we leave on our last trip un-stocked? Did the hot water heater work? How about the water tinaca? (that one was a "no") We looked in the armoire and realized both of us had left clothes we forgot we even had. We each traveled down with a backpack and a duffle bag, but realized the duffle bags with clothes was close to unnecessary to bring.

Tuesday morning we got up and did the once over outside....
"Let's get the exterior of the house painted this trip!"

The Comex paint store is closeby and Jaime who works there is so helpful in working with us to pick out the best products and mix the paints for us. I went to one of my favorite Mexican websites to get started. Yesterday I spent several hours pouring over virtual combinations of exterior paint colors. Right now the house is painted a Comex color called "azucar" (sugar). It is a "safe" color and the name of it is nice. It is appropriate since, after all, Merida is called "The White City" but I also have choices like "Tequila", "Playa del Carmen" and "Tomate"....even "Barbeque". And in Merida, we don't have to worry about an HOA. We have full discretion on what colors we use. I mean, the guy down the street painted his house while we were gone...it's Negro. Not to be judgemental, but with all the colors of the rainbow to choose from - how do you end up saying "l think I'll just paint mi casa black." That's kinda like painting it clear IMO. I like the idea of colors in the turquesa family...especially since the house on one side of us is a dark red and the city offices on the other side are a bright hacienda yellow. But I am struggling with an inner conflict - the name of the Comex colors are so intriguing that I find myself picking a color not because I find it pleasing to my eye, but because I like the way the name rolls off my tongue - colors like limonada, papagayo, paleta, aguazul, and catavina.
This paint picking thing reminds me of buying a new car. Once you drive it off the lot, you start seeing the identical car everywhere. Yesterday we walked through town and after Terry and I both said we liked many of the colors in the "green" and "turquesa" families, it seemed like every other house we saw was painted a bright turquoise.


Here is the fun link to the virtual exterior paint decorating page of Comex: 
http://www.comex.com.mx/workspace-decorador-virtual
Today, we're going to try and decide. Terry isn't too big of a help since #1 he is color blind to some degree and #2 he likes every color I show him. After we decide, I will make one of my infamous phone calls where my voice becomes extremely high-pitched as I speak Spanish, and arrange for the painters to come.
Mucha Felizidad!

No comments:

Post a Comment