Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Do you have the tile....No, thought you had the tile??!

The projects around Casa Kahanek continue. Continuing to work on the wall mural. When I started I didn't know what it would be, but knew it would be something. I did know it would be an arched window. What goes on the mural is whatever strikes my fancy and what I feel like adding. Really, it's more like what I can paint that somewhat resembles something real since I'm neither an artista nor a person good with drawing. Terry does continue to tell me my sketching is better than my painting! LOL!
Sr. P. is managing the exterior painting and the tile work in the kitchen. I poured over paint colors, but put my final decision on the back burner for a few days since the tile project took precedence. Sr. P. showed up yesterday morning and measured the kitchen for the tile. In the meantime, I had used Adobe Illustrator (old school!) to design the project. We kept it simple since we are. We are keeping it Mexican traditional since we are. It took about an hour of measuring...that's because nothing is square...and the talavera tiles won't be exactly square either since they are each handmade. After about an hour of measuring we loaded up with Sr. P. and off we went to the NE part of town to buy the Talavera tile.

Along the way we stopped off so Sr. P. could put out a construction fire. His crew was working on a total renovation and they had no electricity to run the electric saw. Sr. P. piddled with the breaker box and called in Roberto to try starting up the saw. All was good! Remember....Sr. P. is the one that always gets us out of the gas tanque fixes!!!

We got to the tile place and were overwhelmed by the choice of design tiles, hecho in Puebla, that fit our criteria. They were all beautiful. I got excited when I got to tell my story, in Spanish, about "Mi Abuela". Nanny had grown up in Puebla while both her father and grandfather played a part in overseeing the building of the railroad system between the Gulf Coast and Mexico City in the early part of this century. The families had to eventually flee Mexico when the Mexican Revolution broke out. But, she remained a "Little Princess" for the rest of her life. As I always mention, I definitely feel a connection with her when I am SOB.

We enjoyed meeting all of the people at the tile place. And, were honored to have Sr. Rosel wait on us. He even gave us a discount...when Terry asked him if he would. Sr. P., one of the employees, and Terry loaded up the boxes of tile and back to La Ermita we came where we unloaded the tile and said "Hasta Luego" to Sr. P.  Terry and I started opening the boxes of tile with the intentions of laying out the tile in our design to get a good visual of how it is going to look.
But, where were the multi-colored design tiles we had labored over picking out?

Is seems everybody thought somebody else had picked them up and loaded them in the trunk. We had paid for them but had forgotten them at the tile place! I drew the short matchstick and had to brush up on my Spanish telephone etiquette and make the phone call. Yes, it was comical and it was high-pitched speaking, but I got the point across and they agreed to get them off the table a keep them for us when we will go pick them up on next Monday...the day Sr. P. will actually start laying the tile.
The "Before" of the kitchen

We spent the rest of the day going for a walk. We went to San Cristobal,  Mejorada, downtown and back home.
Saw this bicicleta graveyard during our walk.
We knocked on the door at Casa Terracita to see if we could meet up with Peter, a travel writer, Terry had sat with on the bus. No answer there. Later, we found out he had gone to see Dra. Cecilia Vasquez, the dentista we had recommended to him. He emailed and said he was ecstatic with her dental work, same as me.
Evening wine, breakfast for dinner, and to bed for reading, and dreaming of the tile we bought but don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment