Friday, December 21, 2012

I Don't Think the World Ended, But How Would I Know


The media around the world, excluding the more local media, are making a big deal out of 12/21/12. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57560400/mayan-calendar-reaches-its-end-world-doesnt-follow-suit/ Don't believe what they say about it being chaotic, etc., etc. It's not at all! Here - life has gone on as usual. I don't think the end of the world happened, but I'm not sure because I question how I would know. It did rain rather hard last night and for a split second I thought that might be a sign of something greater - right before I fell back to sleep. It's the first time it has rained since our arrival --- thank goodness for the dry season. It is much cooler this morning and if this keeps up it will make me feel like it's the end of the world (Coming from the person who hates winter!). It's 73 right now, but feels like 43 to me!

Wednesday we took our weekly trip to Progreso. Every time we go, we come back feeling invigorated from the saltwater and salty air. We truly do have saltwater souls. I took some stones to the necklace vendor...the one the girls and I had bought from the week before. I had found them on the beach in Celestun and I don't know what they were, but they resembled little skeleton heads to me. He was excited to get them, and I can't wait to see how he uses them. The water was still very warm and we swam and got our beach fix.

Yesterday Terry and I went out to Home Depot to look at ceiling fans and dimmer switches for the ceiling fan lighting. We were so excited when we found ceiling fans that were regularly $1,699 marked down to $999 each! We decided to go ahead and buy two as it was such a markdown and that would complete our need for more ceiling fans. It also meant we had to catch a taxi home since there was no way we could get on the bus and then walk the rest of the way home trying to carry two ceiling fans. The taxi fare was a whopping $80 pesos. lol
Terry installed one fan yesterday when we got home, and is installing the second one today. I think the installation is what lead to the cold weather. Brrrrr! Take the ceiling fan back down, please. None of the fans are even on right now.
Last visit to Home Depot we had bought lumber for the picture framing project and Terry cut it up in the Home Depot parking lot so we could get on the bus with it. Used his little hacksaw blade. Gotta do what works!



The next Home Depot project is going to be buying wood and materials for some kite making. We got inspired from the small boys in Celestun that had made kites of sticks and garbage bags. Some of them were aerodynamically correct and one poor little boy couldn't get his off the ground. I hope Terry took note of "how NOT to make a kite" from him!
Still no "official correo" in the mailbox, except for the "pago immediato" water bill, but we had gotten a flyer inviting us to the Ano de Cultura Maya festivities in Parque de La Ermita. The festivities at our park were last night. We sat on the front porch drinking our cocktails, and watched and listened. It actually appeared to be a smaller crowd in the park than on just a norml night ---- as we say, you can never second guess. They played some of the salsa tunes we listen to regularly so that was nice..

Starting to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

On the Iglesia de Santa Isabel de La Ermita
This will be the first time ever to be away from family, friends, and Texas during Christmas. It will be different, no doubt about it. We still don't really know what to expect Christmas Eve or Christmas Day in our neighborhood. I have made my Christmas dinner list and will do grocery shopping today. Henry, our water boy, informed us this past week he will be delivering water to us on Christmas Day! I hope he makes lots of tips. Terry gave him extra tip money this past week along with a "Feliz Navidad". I am getting the ingredients to make Christmas treats today so I can pass them out to Henry and some of the neighbors.
Across the Street in Parque de La Ermita

 


 

2 comments:

  1. There is a lumber yard on C 66 x 73 y 75. It's got better lumber than HD and they deliver, though for us delivery means the guy carries our purchase down the street.

    Most places here will deliver from the Comex in San Juan (they use a handtruck to bring me my paint LOL), Boxito and Fernandez also deliver. I've had stuff delivered by Home Depot, but that requires getting "an account" and paying at the contractors desk.

    It has been an unseasonably warm December.I didn't want to get out of bed today, beeause I was cold. We may have to break out the comforter after all if the cool weather sticks around.

    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa,
    Thank you for the information. I love the delivery methods.
    I remember the Calle 66 lumber yard...I remember the smell of freshly cut lumber...from renting on 75. I suggested it to Terry, but he insisted on going to OD. I think I will insist on going to Calle 66 for the kite project materials :)
    I can so identify with you on being cold yesterday. I have NEVER liked cold weather.
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete