Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Perils of Paradise

Hanging out in paradise does have its issues. Yes, the cost of living is less and the weather has been perfect. We've been spending our days reading, painting, napping, walking, and Terry is busy playing his guitar at the moment. But, there are issues.

  1. For starters, I can't get photos to upload to Blogger. I have tried several different ways but it just isn't happening. I'm not sure if it's because I'm tapped into the free internet offered through all the parks and we just happen to live close enough to get the service or what. It's hit and miss I know. Yesterday I walked over to the park and discovered three dudes over there watching movies on their phones. I don't know a lot about bandwidth but I'm quite sure watching movies takes quite a lot. Or, maybe it's this new computer and the fact that I now have Windows 10.
  2. Speaking of Windows, yesterday we walked to Bancomer to get a new token. It's a little device that the bank gives you when you open an account. I would show you a picture but as you remember, I can't upload. You use it to generate a random number to enter when you are trying to access your account online. It worked well for the four years we've had the Mx. account open. But the battery is running low and you can't just add a battery so we were going to just go get a new one. We hiked to the location all the way out on Paseo. We signed in, took a seat and waited our turn. Well, it seems they no longer use the tokens. Now, you simply download an app to your phone and it generates something for you to use - a one-time PIN we assume. Sounds simple enough. But, wait. You have to have an Android phone and no, it doesn't work with Windows. We don't have an Android phone and we use Windows. So we are still trying to figure this issue out. The bank representative was so embarrassed and apologetic I felt bad when I told him it was a problema grande. But, the good news is that nobody with a Windows phone will ever get to our pesos.
On a lighter note - there seems to be an abundance of tamarind. So, we bought some chicken, tamarind paste and ancho chiles and whipped up a keeper recipe. It was another one dish meal...somewhat sweet with some tartness and spicy.
I've seen birds galore - lots of doves, a couple of parrots, a ladder-backed woodpecker, and we have a pair of orioles nesting in the trees.
We made contact with Paulino yesterday. He is coming by today to discuss some things we want to have done to the house. Then, it's off to the playa for us.




No comments:

Post a Comment