Friday, April 8, 2016

Eating Like Belizeans in Mexico

I discovered I can get Terry to go to the big mercado with me if we go early in the morning before it is crowded. We dressed and went yesterday morning, early. In fact, most of the mercado was not open yet, but the seafood stands were all open. Good thing because that's what we went to buy. 
We ended up with four fillets of grouper, and a half kilo of shrimp. We purchased the grouper from one vendor and the shrimp from the vendor across the aisle. We didn't have a plan on how we were going to prepare it, but we knew one would develop. 
At the grocery store, the plan started coming together - coconut rice, curry sauce made with ingredients including curry powder, coco de crema (very rich indeed), crema, sauteed jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic in butter. And of course, the seared seafood and some broccoli on the side. I can't give you the recipe because there is no recipe. We just called it Seafood Curry a la Kahanek. 
Next time it will be ceviche and fish cooked with tomate and peppers. After all, we're in Mexico and not Belize. 
________________________________

We have spotted four woodpeckers that hang out in the gardens across the street in the evenings. They resemble our ladder-backed woodpeckers but appear to be larger. If anybody can help me out with the exact name of them, I would appreciate it. 
Photo from surfbirds.com


  At first I thought they had a nest in a tree hollow because we always spot them in the same tree and circling around a hollow. Yesterday, I walked over to the gardens with my binoculars and camera to get a closer look. Now I think they are eating insects that are inside the hole. No nest. About three minutes into my observation, a kind gentleman came to speak with me in the garden. He spoke very little Spanish and I know no Mayan so it was an interesting conversation. But, being a high-tech gardener he pulled out his cell phone and we looked at his gardening projects on his phone. We could both understand pictures. He had quite the resume - his specialty is working with the shrub/plant that can be shaped into animals and one can use to spell out words and names if you're a really awesome gardener. He was an awesome gardener. His gardening tools were few - he carried a hook-type tool used to dig that resembled a hay hook. He must have had shears or something back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment