Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spanish Lesson - How to Say "Needle and Thread"

On Sunday morning we got up and did the Champs Elysee of Merida walk. With the street closed to car traffic, it makes it an easy four-mile or so hike round trip from the Gran Plaza, over to Paseo de Montejo and back. Paseo is an interesting combination of the old, beautiful houses built during the days when Henequen was king and the not so interesting new buildings and American-type franchises, including a Wal-Mart. Along the way Terry suggested we stop off at Wal-Mart and buy some needle and thread or a sewing kit so he could sew a button back on his Magellan shorts. Easy enough! We have a little hand-held translator that we always take with us since you never know when you may really, really need it. Well, we really, really needed it but we had forgotten it. We went into Walmart and couldn't find anything that resembled a sewing kit or needle/thread so I finally broke down and asked a sales clerk by saying "Excuse me. Where can I find..." Then, I couldn't go any further. I had not a clue how to say needle and thread. So I had to pantomime it out. The girl said they didn't carry )&(*(^%$$. We couldn't understand how she had said it.
We left and kept walking until we came to the Chedraui further up Paseo...another big store like a Wal-Mart, only much better. We went through the same thing, except they had needle and thread. Here's what we learned ---
Needle---aguja
Thread---hilo
Fabrics and Materials---Telas y Materias 
Remember the old oilcloth tablecloths that every kitchen table used to be covered with? They are still used down here in abundance. I saw this stack of different patterns in the Telas y Materias seccion in the Chedraui. I love all the bright colors...if I was crafty I would want to buy some. It took me back to growing up in the 60's!

No comments:

Post a Comment