Monday, April 27, 2015

The Lying Shelf


This is a photo of a wooden shelf that is lying. It lies about why it isn't installed on the wall and it is lying because it is just sitting in the corner on the floor - unhung. We found it a year ago at Julio's Down by the Schoolyard. We call it that because Julio owns the antique shop and it is across the street from the schoolyard. That was when Terry learned to play "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" on his guitar.
This shelf keeps telling me it will hang itself mañana. You and I both know what that means. I have picked out the perfect spot for it. I hoped to have it hung up above the stove and the tiled archway. I was going to use it to hold spices and other things that seem to accumulate on the countertop for no particular reason. 
The shelf acts as if it is getting heavier and can't lift itself into an upright position. I agree, it is solid wood with wrought iron decorative hangars that are old and heavy. But, a big strong, good-looking shelf shouldn't have trouble lifting itself into place. 
At first the shelf said it was just too tired to be hung. Since then the shelf has gotten a lot of rest and muchas siestas. In fact, the shelf is in the middle of a siesta right now. 
The shelf has told me it is too hot and it will get hung later in the day. It doesn't really cool off until late in the day. That would be after sun downers on the mirador. That is not a good time for a shelf to hang itself. I don't really want a crooked shelf.
Upon our arrival to Mérida, the shelf said it was waiting on the electric drill to charge. It used this excuse on day 2 and again on day 3. I am quite sure it doesn't take 72 hours for a drill to charge. 
So, this shelf is really the lying, lying shelf. I can't wait to hear the excuse it gives me mañana.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment