Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It's Everyday Life in Merida

2-5 PM on any given day
It's around 6 in the morning and I am sitting on the front porch listening to the birds sing as I drink my morning coffee. My mind goes over and over the last 3+ months and one minute I think "wow, what an adventure it has been", then I think, you know, it's all in what we made out of it. It was an adventure all right because that's what we wanted it to be. We found humor in the simplest things because we wanted to. It really is simply everyday life in Merida and around. I guess that's why we like it here.
I asked Terry during one of our chats if he thought Merida would tug at the heartstrings of our family and friends the way it has our hearts if they were to visit. And we both had the same conclusion: "Some it would and some it wouldn't".

I'm finding myself thinking more and more about family and friends, Harborwalk, S/V Cool Change, US current events and news,
going to Whataburger, and eating a juicy ribeye...
and x-rated time with my husband whom I have missed more than anybody will ever know.

I've made lists of last minute things I want to do before leaving. And I've spent the last 3-4 days being a tourist, sight-seeing and taking pictures. Paulino replaced the 3 drains yesterday with the bug-resistant drains. I cleaned house like a banchee...swept, mopped, and washed clothes. I'm down to shopping for a hamaca or two (this is for any potential visitors - lol). And, going to touch base with the blacksmith so I can explain that I'm leaving, but to carry on and he will get paid by Yesenia. And, I will visit with Yesenia and leave some pesos for the last bit of work to be done.

 Last night I was sitting on the front porch when a really young and cute guy pops out of nowhere and took these jars out of his bag. He started rattling in Spanish and I just responded "Si, si". I heard the word for young and collagen in there somewhere. He was so cute and had such a cute smile that I couldn't resist. I bought a jar of something from him. I tried to read it last night and I'm not sure if I wash clothes in it or smear it on my face. So I guess and I will look at it this morning and try it out on something - just not sure what. Yesterday a neighbor lady stopped at the front porch and we talked for probably 30 minutes. I know she lives alone around the esquina and has lived in La Ermita for 30 years. There was a lot she said I didn't quite understand, but that's ok. We conversed and her facial expressions told me the story.

Here's some of the latest pics of Everyday Life in Merida -
Inside one of the mercados
Centro street vendor

Beautiful colonial bldg. on Calle 60
Another Church...on Calle 60
Centro Colonial Bldg.
One of the many centro colonials getting painted as part of the downtown refurbishment major undertaking
Typical busy centro esquina

Inside of a tienda plastica....this is what I envision Baldemore's sisters' tienda looking like in Villahermosa

Mango, papaya y sandia from the La Ermita fruta lady vendor


Looks like a Hyundai Elantra to me, but.....


But it's a Dodge Attitude...guessing it has something to do with import laws


Sunday Bici-Ruta...down Paseo de Montejo



Dancing in Santa Lucia park on Sundays at noon....pero no cerveza


The Living Statue and Me....Ernesto took this picture


No comments:

Post a Comment