Saturday, May 26, 2012

CASA KAHANEK

CASA KAHANEK ----  Calle 64A, La Ermita, Merida
It's Saturday morning early (before 7) and I have been up drinking coffee since 5:30. Things get going early around here to make time for the 2-5 afternoon siesta time when every thing comes to a halt because of the heat.
Well, I'm no longer staying at Calle 70 and Terry flew back to Texas on Thursday morning. Let me explain - it is going to sound like it was a rash decision, but it really wasn't. We had been looking and contemplating buying a house here in Merida for quite some time.  We went back and forth between city vs. the beach/close to the beach, but logistics won out. We bought a house in the barrio of La Ermita in Merida Centro right across from the beautiful church, botanical gardens, and Parque de La Ermita. It is at the beginning of the brick street that leads to one of the sets of arches that are so historical and often seen in pictures. If location is really the main reason for buying a house - then we struck gold. I will take some pictures and post them soon....I no longer have the blistering fast CableMas service I had at Calle 70. Now I have to be on the front porch and I get my internet service "gratis" from La Ermita Parque. Just a couple of additional things about the location --- ironically, it is only a couple of blocks south from where we rented last year, and we actually watched the beginning of the renovation of the house at that time. La Ermita Parque is where we came everyday last year to get internet. Also, we have been told over and over since buying that a novela was filmed in La Ermita, and it is scheduled to start airing soon....even supposed to air in the US. All the Mexicans around here think it is a really big deal and they say we will be "famosa". I doubt that, and what I really hope is that it doesn't bring traffic down here since the quiet street is what we like.
We had made a "low-ball" offer (guys, you know Terry!) after seeing the interior of the house once, and the first offer was accepted with the words: "I was hoping for more money, but I accept your offer." We bought the house from an American pipe-organ playing gentleman that has been living in Merida in an old, magnificent colonial house for 5 years.



We shook hands via the internet and went to see an abogado the next day to start paperwork. We thought there would be a purchase contract, earnest money, etc., but we all agreed "what's the use?". A day for closing was set and then there was some panic on moving money, wiring it to Mexico,  and going from dollars to pesos. But, exchange rates have worked in everybody's favor and everybody is happy. Was a bit trying when the seller forgot to bring keys to the cloasing, and we were reading over the trust agreement and the deed all in Spanish!
What next? Moving day. That involved 2 backpacks and a roll-around bag so we sprang for a taxi for that. Presently, we have no water heater, no gas tanque, and no gas line installed, and we are waiting to get the mini-split a/c until later. The first thing we bought was a mattress and bedframe.



Have you ever tried to move furniture w/o having wheels? We got that to the house on top of El Puma's motorcycle taxi...I'm NOT making this up! The refrigerator was delivered to us in a real truck. We bought patio furniture from the seller, and flagged down "Sergio" at Mejorado Park. He charges 400 pesos to use his truck, but Terry got him down to 300 pesos. We really wanted to have a table and chairs for our 25th Wedding Anniversary dinner...that was Wednesday, May 23rd. Terry HAD to fly back to Houston for work so he left out at 7:15am on Thursday. Me....I'm here for awhile to get things done to the house. A sofa is to be delivered on Thursday, and Monday "Paulino" is coming to take care of the water heater, gas line, and gas tanque (those things continue to haunt me!). Before Terry left we walked by a blacksmith shop and talked with him about adding some additional grillwork/protectors to the front patio area and front window of the house. Come to find out - he was the blacksmith that did the existing work so he will be able to match it all perfectly. "Wilber" is so sweet and talented, and it is amazing what he is going to do for us. I'm still trying to get bills transferred over to us...this is a BIG DEAL in Mexico! And, I accidentally found a place that is going to make a "CASA KAHANEK" sign for us.
Needless to say - my Spanish has improved tremendously out of shear necessity. It's been fun mixed in with some frustration. Well, I say that but while talking with the young couple (in Spanish) about the sign, their 4 yr. old boy looked up at me and smiled and said "Hello!". He knew I was a Gringa!
Last night the electricity went off (not uncommon here!) and it was HOT; there was a 6 cm long scorpion in the shower. But, besides missing my husband (alot!), things are muy bueno!


A big "Congratulations" to Joseph (my nephew) and Chelsea...they are getting married today and I really regret missing their day. My wishes for them is that getting married on Memorial Day weekend will bring them the same good luck and happiness that it has brought Terry and me.

Also, "HaPPY BiRthDay" to my sweet little granddaughter "Maggie". She turns 6 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment